2016-17 Season Tickets go on sale May 25th, at the River Run Box Office 519 763-3000. Click here to view the season at a glance!
1. GSO SEASON OPENING GALA – A MASQUERADE BALL | Saturday, October 24, 2015, 7:30 pm. Back by popular demand: Ballet, Opera, and Symphony in one evening! Special Guests: Selene Guerrero Trujillo and Dylan Tedaldi from the National Ballet of Canada, up-and-coming Superstar Soprano Brittany Renee Robinson, and a joint-choir comprised of the University of Guelph Chamber Singers and the Laurier Singers. Programme includes the glitteringly virtuosic Black Swan Pas de Deux from Swan Lake, the terrifying and instantly recognizable Dies Irae from Verdi’s Requiem, and Prokofiev’s hauntingly beautiful Cinderella Waltz.
2. A HOLIDAY CELEBRATION | Sunday, December 13, 2015, 3pm. Celebrate Christmas with music by the Baroque masters Bach, Vivaldi, and Handel, the exciting battle and snow scenes from Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker, and our popular traditional Carol Sing-a-long. Also on the programme is a screening of Raymond Brigg’s animated classic, “The Snowman”, featuring boy soprano Simion Antoniu Ciobanu. Special guest include: GSO Harpist Sharlene Wallace
Our Holiday Celebration concert and fundraiser was a huge success! Thank you for your support! Anyone still wishing to order Holiday Pastries from Angela at “Eating Clouds”, is asked to call 519 362-5628. We regret that there was a typo in the program.
3. NEW YEAR’S DAY in VIENNA | Friday, January 1, 2016, 3pm. Bring in 2016 with your favourite Viennese waltzes and polkas, along with our special guests, 3 Spectacular Singers from the COC Ensemble Studio. (Last New Year’s we brought you the 3 tenors – now a soprano, a tenor and a baritone want their chance to take centre stage!) With music by Johann Strauss, Franz Lehar, and W. A. Mozart.
4. LOVE IS IN THE AIR | Sunday, February 14, 2016, 3pm. Celebrate Valentine’s Day with the most passionate music in the Classical repertoire, featuring music by Tchaikovsky, Debussy, and Berlipz. Internationally- renowned Canadian soprano Isabel Bayrakdarian, who last thrilled us in the 2014/15 GSO Gala, returns as our very special guest.
FREE ADMISSION: CARNIVAL OF THE ANIMALS – Sunday, January 31, 2016, 3pm. To celebrate our city’s historical love for all living creatures, members of the GSO will perform Camille Saint-Saens’ charming Carnival of the Animals at the Guelph Civic Museum. Admission to the concert and the museum that afternoon will be free. This concert will also be presented at Arbour Trails. Further details to be posted.
FREE ADMISSION: UNDER 23 CONCERTO COMPETITION FINALS Sunday, March 13, 2016, 1:30 pm.
To be held in the Recital Hall at the Guelph Youth Music Centre.To be held in the Recital Hall at the Guelph Youth Music Centre. This year, in celebration our 15th season, the competition is open to Piano, Strings, Woodwind and Brass players. The winners will perform one movement with GSO in our 2016-17 season.
5. MOZART’S REQUIEM at THE BASILICA | Sunday, March 20, 2016, 3pm. GSO performs Mozart’s final masterpiece, the Requiem Mass, at the completely renovated and fully accessible, Basilica of Our Lady Immaculate. Special Guests: University of Guelph Choir (dir. Dr. Marta McCarthy).
6. GSO SEASON FINALE – BEETHOVEN’S EROICA SYMPHONY | Saturday, April 30, 2016, 7:30 pm. The GSO finishes the 2015/16 season with one of the most influential and important works of the classical repertoire: Beethoven’s Symphony No. 3 “Eroica”. Special guest, violinist Emma Meinrenken (2015 GSO Under-23 Concerto Competition Winner), performs Paganini’s electrifying Violin Concerto No. 1.
The GSO’s 2015 Under 23 Concerto Competition finals took place on Sunday afternoon, March 1 from 1:30- 4:00. Our audience was treated to three stellar performances; Paganini Violin Concerto no. 1, Sibelius Violin Concerto and Elgar Cello Concerto. Congratulations to Emma Meinrenken, who will be featured at our final concert next season.
CONGRATULATIONS to Nancy Sullivan, the winner of the GSO New York Raffle Prize drawn at our “Love is in the Air” concert on February 14th at River Run Centre.
One GRAND PRIZE - A THREE DAY NEW YORK CITY EXPERIENCE FOR TWO PEOPLE
Air Canada return flights from Pearson Airport – Red Car Service from Guelph to Pearson – 2 Nights accommodation in NYC at the Downtown Marriott - Voucher for 2 Tickets to the Metropolitan Opera – (All Subject to Availability) – Value $3,500
Check out excerpts from REVIEWS –
Click here to read about our two upcoming holiday shows in the article published in the KW Record and Guelph Mercury’s weekend concert publication., Nightlife
from the GUELPH MERCURY – Guelph Symphony Orchestra Starts New Year on a High Note.
to view Click here.