GSO 2015-15 Season Tickets go on sale May 15, 2015 at River Run Centre 519 763-3000
1. GSO SEASON OPENING GALA – A MASQUERADE BALL | Saturday, October 24, 2015, 7:30 pm. Back by popular demand: Ballet, Opera, and Symphony in one evening! Special Guests: Selene Guerrero Trujillo and Dylan Tedaldi from the National Ballet of Canada, up-and-coming Superstar Soprano Brittany Renee Robinson, and a joint-choir comprised of the University of Guelph Chamber Singers and the Laurier Singers. Programme includes the glitteringly virtuosic Black Swan Pas de Deux from Swan Lake, the terrifying and instantly recognizable Dies Irae from Verdi’s Requiem, and Prokofiev’s hauntingly beautiful Cinderella Waltz.
2. A HOLIDAY CELEBRATION | Sunday, December 13, 2015, 3pm. Celebrate Christmas with music by the Baroque masters Bach, Vivaldi, and Handel, the exciting battle and snow scenes from Tchaikovsky’s The Nutcracker, and our popular traditional Carol Sing-a-long. Also on the programme is a screening of Raymond Brigg’s animated classic, “The Snowman”, featuring boy soprano Simion Antoniu Ciobanu. Special guest include: GSO Harpist Sharlene Wallace
3. NEW YEAR’S DAY in VIENNA with THE 3 SOPRANOS | Friday, January 1, 2016, 3pm. Bring in 2016 with your favourite Viennese waltzes and polkas, along with our special guests, 3 Spectacular Sopranos from the COC Ensemble Studio. (Last New Year’s we brought you the 3 tenors – now the 3 sopranos want their chance to take centre stage!) With music by Johann Strauss, Franz Lehar, and W. A. Mozart.
4. LOVE IS IN THE AIR | Sunday, February 14, 2016, 3pm. Celebrate Valentine’s Day with the most passionate music in the Classical repertoire, featuring music by Tchaikovsky, Debussy, and Rachmaninoff. Internationally- renowned Canadian soprano Isabel Bayrakdarian, who last thrilled us in the 2014/15 GSO Gala, returns as our very special guest.
5. MOZART’S REQUIEM at THE BASILICA | Sunday, March 20, 2016, 3pm. GSO performs Mozart’s final masterpiece, the Requiem Mass, at the Basilica of Our Lady Immaculate. Special Guests: University of Guelph Choir (dir. Dr. Marta McCarthy).
6. GSO SEASON FINALE – BEETHOVEN’S EROICA SYMPHONY | Saturday, April 30, 2016, 7:30 pm. The GSO finishes the 2015/16 season with one of the most influential and important works of the classical repertoire: Beethoven’s Symphony No. 3 “Eroica”. Special guest, violinist Emma Meinrenken (2015 GSO Under-23 Concerto Competition Winner), performs Paganini’s electrifying Violin Concerto No. 1.
GSO BIG FINALE | Saturday May 2, 2015, 7:30 pm
In a concert on Saturday evening, May 2, at River Run Centre, GSO, under the direction of conductor Judith Yan, will perform Debussy’s beautiful “PRÉLUDE À L’APRÈS-‐MIDI D’UN FAUNE” and Stravinsky’s amazing “THE FIREBIRD” and some percussion fireworks. German composer Marco Hertenstein, inspired by the Irish landscape, the sea, the people and their music, composed the stunning “CONCERTO FOR PERCUSSION AND ORCHESTRA” for the remarkable percussionist, Julie Strom who will premiere the work with GSO. Also on the bill will be two works performed by the Wilfrid Laurier Percussion Ensemble.For ticket information.
GSO MATINEE CONCERTS | Sunday, March 29th, 1:30 pm and 3:30 pm
This program for all ages includes a narrated presentation of Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade, Grieg’s engaging Peer Gynt Suite and to commemorate the 100th anniversary of of Colonel McCrae’s, In Flanders Fields, a new choral setting of the poem by Maria Case.
Narrator: Joe Ringhofer
John McCrae Public School Choir
Guelph Youth Symphony Orchestra
Guest Conductor Michael Newnham
These Concerts are Generously Sponsored by the Woolwich Arrow Pub
Michael Newnham is best known for his intense and inspiring conducting style, based on a deep knowledge of the score and informed by a strong interest in languages, cultures and history. A born communicator, his open and direct contact with musicians and audiences creates performances full of expression and energy.
Music Director of Symphony New Brunswick, Camerata NB and the Peterborough Symphony Orchestra, Newnham has been instrumental in bringing these ensembles to new artistic heights and raising their profile on the provincial and national level.
Along with his appearances in his native Canada, Newnham has also appeared at the helm of many orchestras and opera companies throughout Poland, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, Italy and South Korea.
STRAVINSKY’S THE FIREBIRD | Saturday, May 2nd, 7:30 pm
Debussy Afternoon of a Faun
Hertenstein Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra (World Premiere)
GSO Soloist Percussionist, Julie Strom
Special Guests Wilfrid Laurier Percussion Ensemble
Conductor Judith Yan
Click here to purchase tickets
EARLIER THIS SEASON…………………….
TRIPLE-FEATURE SEASON OPENING GALA | Saturday, October 25th, 2014, 7:30pm
Gala Performance of OPERA, BALLET, and SYMPHONY
Pre-concert Gala Dinner Separate ticket $100
Tchaikovsky Selections from the Ballet, Sleeping Beauty
Minkus Pas de Deux and Variations from Don Quixote
Bizet Arias, Choruses from Carmen Verdi Choruses from Aida and Nabucco
Special Guests: Soprano, Isabel Bayrakdarian
National Ballet of Canada Principal Dancer, Piotr Stancyk National Ballet of Canada First Soloist, Tina Pereira
University of Guelph Chorus
Conductor Judith Yan
This Concert is Generously Sponsored by PrimeCare Pharmacy Arboretum
GSO WELCOMES JEANNE LAMON | Sunday, December 7th, 3pm
The brilliant Juno award winning Music Director of Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra (1981-2014), Jeanne Lamon, guest conducts the GSO in a program that includes Handel’s Royal Fireworks and other Favourites of the Holiday Season, including an audience carol sing-along!
Guest Conductor: Jeanne Lamon
DREAMS of VIENNA with 3 TENORS FROM THE COC ENSEMBLE STUDIO | Thursday, January 1st, 3pm
Beloved traditional waltzes and polkas by Strauss and Lehar, along with favourite tenor arias including:
Lehar Dein ist mein ganzes Herz
Donizetti Una furtiva lagrima from L’elisir d’amore
Capua O sole mio
Puccini Che gelida manina from La Boheme
Verdi La Donna è mobile from Rigoletto
Guest Soloists Andrew Haji (Tenor)
Jean-Philippe Fortier-Lazure (Tenor)
Owen McCausland (Tenor)
Conductor Judith Yan
VALENTINE’S DAY – LOVE IS IN THE AIR | Saturday, February 14th, 7:30 pm
Wine and Jazz Pre-Concert Reception
Hosted by the Woolwich Arrow Pub
Prokofiev Music from the ballet, Romeo and Juliet
Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini
Bernstein “Maria”, “I feel Pretty”, “Tonight”, “Somewhere” from West Side Story
Guest Soloist Pianist, William Bellehumeur
Guest Soloist Soprano, Kelsey Vicary
Conductor Judith Yan